Take care of your body
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Taking care of our general health is essential to reduce the risks of developing brain pathologies and cognitive impairment. It is very important, therefore, to be aware of one's own state of health, to maintain it and, if you have any disease, to follow the guidelines of medical professionals on how to improve it. People who neglect diseases such as hypertension and diabetes are more likely to suffer pathologies that affect brain health, and consequently experience a deterioration in memory and other cognitive functions. In Catalonia, in addition to enjoying quality health services accessible to all citizens, there is an extended network of social services and community interest groups to inform us of the socio-health resources within our reach. Recommendations for comprehensive health:
- Establish a schedule with your primary care physician for periodic medical check-ups based on age, background and lifestyle, and follow it.
- Follow all recommendations of health professionals about medications and treatments if you have any disease.
- Stay at an appropriate weight to your age and build.
- Consult a specialist if you perceive any change in mood or suffer high levels of stress.
- Implement the recommendations of health professionals regarding preventive activities that can reduce the risks of illness.